At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Climb to new heights on your journey when you start Defining Possible with Northrop Grumman. Enjoy a purposeful career in aeronautics that is crucial to the way we connect and protect our world across land, sea, and air. Bring your experience and take advantage of this opportunity to discover how you can start to push past possible and achieve your goals today. Enjoy a diverse, collaborative environment with professionals across the nation ready to help launch your career.
Northrop Grumman Aeronautics Systems has an exciting career opportunity for a Principal Engineer Airworthiness (T03)
to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals; and to work on exciting new opportunities within the Office of Independent Airworthiness (OIAW)
. This position will be in Melbourne, FL.General Responsibilities for a Principal Engineer Airworthiness:
Position Specific Functions
- Ability to develop basis of certification, determine methods of compliance, and compliance verification documentation for military AW certification of air systems. Achieves the logical and systematic realization of customer airworthiness compliance (MIL-HDBK-516C and NAVAIR Instruction 13034.1F) into system solutions to meet program objectives (e.g., flight clearances, type certification, continued airworthiness, and operational or airspace integration). Reviews and coordinates with other Airworthiness Engineers, as well as with internal engineering disciplines at all levels of the air system to include design, fabrication, test, installation, operation, maintenance, and disposal. Reviews functional analysis, timeline analysis, detail trade studies, requirements allocation, interface definition, hardware, and software specifications for airworthiness compliance to the appropriate regulations, standards, and/or guidelines. Manages airworthiness activities throughout the development, sustainment, and disposal lifecycles.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Ability: Applies extensive technical expertise and has full knowledge of other related disciplines. Able to communicate effectively and clearly present technical approaches and findings.
- Problem Solving: Develop technical solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
- Discretion/Latitude: Work is performed without appreciable direction. Exercises considerable latitude in determining technical objectives of assignment. Completed work is reviewed from a relatively long- term perspective, for desired results.
- Impact: Guides the successful completion of major programs and may function in a project leadership role. Erroneous decisions or recommendations would typically result in failure to achieve major organizational objectives.
- Liaison: Represents the organization as the prime technical contact on contracts and projects. Interacts with senior external personnel on significant technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations.
- Performs technical airworthiness planning and verification support including development and negotiation of airworthiness plans, basis of certifications, means of compliance, and certification activities for complex total systems with IPT/REs as well as customer counterparts.
- Review and coordination with other airworthiness engineers as well as internal engineering disciplines performed at all levels of total system to include design, fabrication, test, installation, operation, maintenance, and disposal.
- Performs functional and process analyses, requirements allocation and definition studies to translate customer requirements into criteria and requirements. Ensures the logical and systematic realization of customer airworthiness requirements into system solutions to meet program objectives (e.g., Flight releases, Type certification, continued airworthiness, and operation or airspace integration)
- Interface with Office of Airworthiness, Program IPTs, Program Office, and Customer community as required.
In this role, the candidate must have proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and SharePoint. You will need strong verbal and written communication skills. Finally, the candidate must be a self-starter who had the ability to work under general direction.Basic Qualifications for Principal Engineer Airworthiness (T03):
- Bachelor's Degree with 5 years' experience; OR a Master's Degree with 3 years' experience; OR a PhD with 0 years' experience
- Work experience on manned or unmanned aircraft systems, with an assignment working in Airworthiness (Military or Civil)
- Must have an Active DoD Secret (or higher) clearance (with a background investigation within the past 6 years or enrolled into Continuous Evaluation).
- Must have the ability to obtain and maintain Special Access Program (SAP) clearance.
- NAVAIR Airworthiness and Cybersafe Office (formerly 4.0P) Airworthiness Experience
- Experience with Vehicle Management Systems (VMS) and / or Vehicle Control Functions (VCF)
- Military, especially US Navy, aircraft development or modification experience
- Ability to initiate Airworthiness Certification process improvement initiatives
- Design and Systems Engineering experience in one or more of the following areas: Flight Technology, Avionics, Mission Payload Integration, Flight Test
- Experience with MIL-HDBK-516C, especially Section 6 Flight Technology
- Familiarity with NAVAIR Instruction 13034.1F
- Experience with MIL-STD-1797 and MIL-STD-882E
- Familiarity with System Safety Risk Assessments (SSRA), program risks and hazard analyses
- Familiarity with Agile methods of program execution
- Familiarity with Model Based Systems Engineering and associated tools, such as Cameo Systems Modeler
In addition to a full benefits package with 401k match, PTO, etc. we offer flexible work arrangements, incredible learning opportunities, exposure to a wide variety of projects and customers, within a very friendly team environment. We are looking for self-motivated, proactive, and goal-oriented people to help us grow our services and become even better at what we do.
Our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) provide benefits for the member, our leaders, and the company. Our ERGs offer opportunities to be a friend, be active, be a volunteer, be a leader, to be recognized and to be yourself. Every ERG is inclusive of all employees.